Frequently Asked Questions About General Relief

What is General Relief?
General Relief (GR) is a cash assistance program funded by the County of Orange. It provides temporary cash aid to eligible indigent adult lawful residents who do not have custody of any minor children and do not qualify for Federal or State funded cash aid programs.
Do I have to pay back money I receive?
Yes, GR benefits are considered to be a loan and must be repaid to the County.
Who May be Eligible?
Generally speaking, persons who live in Orange County and are U.S. Citizens or legal immigrants and who meet certain income and property requirements can be eligible.  However, to determine exactly what criteria must be met, you need to file an application.
What if I am able to work but I am unemployed?
Persons who are able to work must:
  • Apply for other income that may be available such as Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB) 
  • Register and cooperate with the General Relief Work Program (GRWP)
    What If I am sick or disabled and cannot work?
    Persons who are not able to work must:
    • Provide medical verification or cooperate with the County Medical Review Team 
    • Apply for other available income such as Social Security Disability, Social Security Income (SSI) or State Disability (SDI or DIB)
    Will I be fingerprinted?
    Unless otherwise exempt, all GR applicants and recipients must be fingerprinted as a condition of eligibility.
    What if I also need medical services?
    If you are eligible to receive General Relief benefits, you will be evaluated for Medi-Cal benefits.
    Show all Categories